Gear Review and Comparison: Ruffwear Approach for a small dog

Top view - Pacific Crest Trail
When searching for a hiking pack for Robin, my utmost concern was his safety. Since at 16 pounds, he can only carry up to four pounds, a minimal burden for me, the pack is a luxury and not a necessity.  The main options available for dogs of his size were the Kyjen Outward Hound Backpack and the Ruffwear Approach Pack. In comparing the two, however, the Kyjen model seemed to spread the weight further along the spine than the Ruffwear version, which is centered over the shoulders.  This seemed like a safety, comfort and range of motion issue. I decided to go with Ruffwear despite the price ($79).

Side view, unclipped - The packs dwarfed him! 
Ruffwear has three lines of dog packs: the Approach, the Singletrak and the Palisades. The Approach is the basic, daypack model and the only one made in XS and XXS. Unfortunately, it is missing the detachable packs of the Palisades and the soft water bottles of both other packs (though Ruffwear sells .5L and 1L soft bottles separately).

I found plenty of used, less expensive Approach packs on eBay in green (my favorite color for Robin) and blue, and actually bought a like-new blue XS pack (17-22" girth) for about $20. The result was comical. While the harness was a perfect fit, the packs hung to his knees and each pack was nearly as wide as his body! For the one hike we did in this pack, I binder clipped the packs from the inside.

Having realized that XXS was the way to go, I asked Ruffwear for the differences between the previous and new models. I wanted the green of the last model, but I also wanted to make the best choice.

Here's their response:
"The major part is the harness of the pack. When we redesigned the Approach to the current model in spring of 2013 we had three main goals; improve the fit, lighten the overall weight of the pack, improve the materials for increased durability and function. There is a new size chart on the current model making it easier to get pups in the right size. On the harness, the fleece lining on the strap covers and interior harness body was replaced with ultra smooth nylon and brushed mesh which is lighter, less bulky, and more durable. The older model with the fleece lining was attractive to dog hair, dirt debris, snow etc. The harness body on the new model is also more pliable then the older version and wraps/hugs the body better.

The saddlebags are using a lighter weight nylon fabric that has the same durability. The capacity/size of the saddlebags are the same as the older model. The current model has new extra pockets on the top of each saddlebag for quick access to small items."

I was sold. I ordered the Approach in Campfire Orange, XXS (2L capacity) and it has been perfect. While Robin is technically an 18.5" girth, the XXS (13-17") fits him with an extra inch or two to spare, so it's clear that Ruffwear builds some space into their sizing. For a multiday trip, the packs may be just slightly small for his size, but it's perfect for a daypack and the packs look proportionate.

Side view - Cherry Canyon

It's hard for me to speak to weight since the packs were different sizes, but I greatly prefer the smooth lining on the new model, and the zippered top pockets are perfect for poop bags. The new pack has a more streamlined look with coordinating zipper pulls and less prominent webbing loops. I also prefer the gray harness over the black for dirt/hair camouflage, and all of the material feels durable and high-quality.  If looks are important, I recommend the new pack over even a heavily discounted old model. 

Bottom view of harness - Humber Park

However, one thing I really miss about the old model is the handle design. For a small dog, the new style padded handle is harder to grab quickly, while the older hard, reflective handle was prominent and easy to catch. For lifting a larger dog, I can imagine that the new padded handle is much nicer.  Since I am planning a modification to my Approach to make the packs removable, I am sure I will be happy to have the new monochrome Webmaster when the packs are off.

Top view - Glendale Mountains

Robin loves his pack! He associates it with hiking, so he is always happy to see it come out. He carries water in two 8oz soft water bottles (update coming soon since one sprung a leak!), poop bags, a little stainless bowl, and treats. The total weight including the pack is around 24 ounces, but for our upcoming backpacking trip he will be carrying his maximum 4 pounds.

It doesn't slow him down! - Afton State Park

Warranty update: After about 25 miles, I noticed that there was slight pilling of the fabric on the bottom of the packs and some wear to the reflective trim. It seemed like an unexpected amount of wear for relatively light use, and since I am planning a modification, I wanted to check before I voided my warranty. Ruffwear was concerned by the wear to the piping (though they thought the pilling was normal since it occurred in areas that would normally rub against trees and walls).  They generously offered me a replacement pack, totally free of charge, and recommended that I donate the older pack to a humane society.  Since I think a humane society could benefit more from money than a dog pack, I decided to sell the pack and donate the proceeds to the shelter.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! You really can tell the work you put in through the level of detail in the review! Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete